Dining with the Bloggers - May 4th



Cathy's gone to Sicily, that silly woman! And left me here in the cold, still rainy Denmark - how rude!:-) So I didn't pick a theme as such this week - I just chose to do something that would make me forget that I was in the cold, and Cathy in the sun!

A couple of weeks ago, I spotted this post on Sage, Pine-nut and Pecorino Scones. They were bookmarked as soon as I saw them - easy to whip up and yummy ingredients. They were made by The Part-Time Pro Bono Baker Gemma. Gemma's blog is fairly new, but she's already done a lot of things that are on my to-do list.

Even though I thought the ingredients delectable, I made them on a cold and rainy evening were the planned dinner was a salad, but I just needed something warm and nourishing - read: something that had come out of the oven. Scones! Because it was sort of on a whim, I didn't have the exact ingredients in the house - had pinenuts, some frozen pesto and a couple of twigs of sage languishing in the back of the fridge - no pecorino, but mozarella and parmasan. And Gemma said in her post it was okay to make alterations, so I did!

They were wonderful, and hit the comfort-me-when-it's raining-spot point blank. Savory and flaky in texture, just a tad on the sweet side - actually a little too sweet for me, but I just saw Gemma put an extra note on the post saying she loves it when they are rather sweet, but that other people might like them a bit more savory. I think I'm one of those, and would probably cut the sugar down to two or three tablespoons. They're quick to do, and the base recipe would be great for all sorts of combinations. I can't say anything but BAKE THESE! Now! The recipe has already been put in my recipe note book in fat, black ink...


(Updated with picture)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Zarah, I am glad you enjoyed them! Sorry about the sugar, I should have mentioned that in the original post. I am just strange in my sweet/savory combinations.

Thank you for your sweet words!
Nic said…
Zarah - I just love those recipes that really get around the blogging world. My to-do list is so long that I should just stop reading blogs altogether! Or I'll have to invent another meal of two in the day to cook for.
Cerebrum said…
Gemma, no worries! They were still wonderful! And I like people with little quirks like that!;-)

Nic - I love travelling the blog world like this! When we first started, I thought there'd be no way I could keep finding new blogs, with recipes I'd actually want to try too, but well - hasn't proved a problem yet! The only problem I have is I like trying new bloggers every week, so the ones I've already done, I've quarantined and I wont be trying recipes from them anytime soon - and it's not like each blogger only has ONE recipe I'm dying to try out! So I've got a TON of recipes on my to-do list as well - we really should consider that extra meal!

Popular Posts