Dining with the Bloggers - September 7th.



That's right, Cathy and I are back with tried and tasted recipes from our favorite source: YOU BLOGGERS YOU! I can't believe (again, I think I've mentioned this before) the amount of new blogs that just springs up all over - it's amazing, and I love it!

One of the not-so-new-anymore blogs, that I bookmarked the first time I had seen it, Taste Everything Once, is coming to us from Spokane. It's written by Jennifer, who I just recently realized has a knack for Norwegian language and an opinion on croutons with which I wholeheartedly agree! As if that's not enough, she's got projects going on: one trying to tell us all about the restaurant scene in Spokane, the other one introducing us to coffee place after coffee place. She's got the cutest dog, and oh yes - she makes gorgeous food!

That's still not it. She's also got the best recipe for pizza dough I have yet to come across. It's easy to prepare, you can freeze any you don't use - and it rolls out as thin as you could wish for - now that's a great feature in a pizza dough. I've usually resolved to only making thick crust pizzas at home, because I simply couldn't roll it thin enough. Now, my troubles are over.

My sister had invited herself over for dinner, and I served Jennifer's pizzacrust with a topping of tomato sauce, spinach, grated cheese and a couple dots of mascarpone. 'Twas good. I made sure to have the oven heated on HIGHEST, popped the rolled out and topped up dough on pre-heated baking sheets, and got results that was better than my Italian pizzaman down the street. Seriously. I substituted about one cup of the flour with coarse durumwheat flour, just because I had it and needed to use it, and got 3 medium sized pizzas, and one portion for the freezer. I haven't used the one in the freezer, but I like the idea of lying there, all ready to be used!

Cathy's gone abroad this time, trying out Indian dishes - be sure to check it out!

Comments

Cathy said…
Oooh, I'm going to have to try this. I love pizza and freezing the dough in individual portions as Jennifer suggests would be perfect for me!
Anonymous said…
I love pizza! Especially thin ones, so should try this.

Just have a question. The recipe suggeste active dry yeast. What is that? I'm swedish and since you are danish I thought you might be able to explain it so I understand. Is it the little square shaped fresh yeast found in the dairy section? Or something else? Don't think we have other stuff than the little cubes in Sweden. How can I substitute active dry yeast for the scandinavian fresh yeast? Or is it the same thing? Ooops.. long question. I'll stop here. Thanx!
Cerebrum said…
Hi Cathy! It's really easy, I dumped everything in the KitchenAid - et voila! And it's always nice to have goodies in the freezer, right?:-)

Hi Carin! Silly me, I forgot to mention that - it is a while since I made it. We don't really have active dry yeast here either, but I used, hmm - I think about quarter of a packet of the fresh kind, like the ones you talk about. That's about 12 grams of fresh yeast. We also have a type of dry yeast here (tørgær it's called) but I very seldom use that - I'm used to the other kind. I know Moira from Who wants seconds once pointed me to a site with conversions from one type of yeast to another - I'll see if I can dig it up and then post a link for it here, so we have it for future references!:-)
Nic said…
I'm so glad to see Dining with Bloggers is back, Zarah! I love these posts.
Joe said…
Great posts! Love the idea!
Cerebrum said…
Nic - I'm glad too! I've just been so lazy (ahem, no, enjoying the summer) so it's nice to have some assignments! (Did I just type that out loud??)

Violet - I could be doing plain Dining (or maybe Baking?) with Nic! It's incredible, I don't know how she does it, but it all looks gorgeous!

Joe - Thanks!
Shauna said…
I love this idea. I actually made a six-course meal in August, in homage to my favorite food bloggers. Now, with all us out there cooking our hearts out, I think I'm going to have one every month! And then I see you're doing this too, before me. Wonderful.

Congratulations. Your site is lovely. And the muffin photograph from the previous post? YIKES!
Jennifer said…
Zarah,

You embarrass me! Thank you for the kind words. It was only today I've had enough time to check in on my favorite blogs. It was such a pleasant surprise to see your post.

I'm glad everyone has had good luck with the pizza dough. It is one of my favorites.

As for the Norwegian, it comes from living in your neck of the woods for a year or so after I married my foreign husband!

Popular Posts