Time for Some Real Food



Just so happens, Jennifer set people straight on the whole crouton business the other day, so I don't have to. I love that post. Who other than a food blogger could get so heated about a crouton?? And I have to say, I wholeheartedly agree with her - it might just be those bready thingys on your salad, but NOTHING compares to the real deal. And the real deal can only be made at home, and does NOT come out of a box. Nu-oh!

A rather untraditional use for them here though - I had fantastic chantarelles - and chantarelles just screams "a little bit of chopped shallots, cream and plenty of salt and pepper!" at me. Creamy - so then you need something crispy for a nice textural contrast... and a bit of greens of some kind... and actually, we needed a salad. Ta-Dah! Born was (in Martins opinion) a weird combo of the above - cos salad torn in chunks, creamy, warm chantarelles and homemade croutons. I liked it, it was sort of a warm salad with all the textures needed to be a real meal. Okay, maybe a tiny bit weird. But good.



And oh yes, I was tagged for that Childhood meme thing - twice! I'll get it done soon - I thought I'd be working this weekend, but got hit by a virus affecting my vocal cords - I sound like every teenage boys worst nightmare, my voice changing pitch by the second. Or, you know, as I like to explain it, I just smoked three packets of cigarettes and downed a bottle of whiskey - yup, time to go sing the blues somewhere!;-) Or maybe, make a cake - hmm...

Comments

Anonymous said…
Zarah, I love the look and can just imagine the smell and taste of this. Something in a creamy luscious sauce over crunchy croutons over greens...mmmm...summery yet satisfying. I'm going to make something that approximates this, although I'll probably use chicken or another protein source in the creamy sauce, since I'm under orders to make every meal a protein meal...

BTW, I finally posted the recipe for Apricot Curd.
Jennifer said…
Jeg liker ikke mushrooms men dette ser vidunderlig! Jeg er glad noen ut der blir enig med meg på crouton ting.

Takk igjen,

Jennifer
Pille said…
Anything made with chantarelles is bound to be tasty - they're wonderful mushrooms!
Equalizer said…
Wow I just stumbled across your blog. I must say it is one of the best food blogs so far :) Nice salad but I would add a bit of chopped parsely and a pinch of fresh thyme.

Checkout my food blog q8restaurants.blogspot.com
Mona said…
Wow, what a cool blog. If you're ever in the NYC area please visit my blog. Those pictures were awesome!!!
eat stuff said…
Zarah that looks so good!
I *wish* we could get chanterelles like that in Sydney :(

Popular Posts