Look Ma, no meat!



I love me a good burger. But being a semi-vegetarian makes that a not-so-often enjoyed thing - I don't know why, but it seems like the cafées in Denmark is not really willing to admit that vegetarians exist! They will do you a lot of veggie- or fish stuffed sandwiches and salads, but a decent burger, cheese, ketchup, mustard and all - no. It's just not happening. So I decided to take matters into my own hands...

The Parmesan Patties I found in a lovely book on vegetarian fare by Celia Brooks Brown, New Vegetarian - they we're SOOOOO good! Cook them 'till really crisp - Hubby actually rather wanted mine than his own meat-one! He! Btw., the book is one of my all time favorites... Check it out!

Parmesan Patties
1 tbsp. olive oil + extra for brushing
2 medium onions, chopped
125 g. mushrooms, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
50 g. parmesan cheese, coarsely grated
50 g. cheddar cheese, grated
150 g. canned borlotti or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
100 g. fresh breadcrumbs
1 tbsp. soy sauce
2 tbsp. red wine
1 teaspoon mustard
1 egg, beaten
1 tbsp. cornflour

Heat the oil in a frying pan, add the onions, mushrooms, thyme and salt and fry until softened and golden. Let cool.

Transfer to a food processor, add the cheeses, beans, breadcumbs and freshly ground black pepper. Pulse until mixed, then add the rest. Process until mixed, but not too smooth.

Using wet hands, shape the mixture into 8 balls, then flatten into 2 cm. thick patties. Put on a prepared baking sheet, covered with clingfilm. Chill until firm.

When ready to cook, transfer to a baking sheet, brush the tops with extra oil and bake in a preheated oven at 220 C for 25 minutes, or until crisp and golden.

My word of advise: make a double batch! My can of beans had 240 g. in it, so it felt kinda ridiculous to leave the rest. You can freeze the patties after you've shaped them - I actually put mine in the freezer to let them firm up.

I also made my own buns out of Beth Hensperger's Bread Bible - they were exactly that slightly sweet I think hamburger buns has to be...

Served with the lot - cheese, ketchup, gherkins, mustard, spinach, mayo, guacamole, fries... well, I'm sorry, I know not to waste food, but number 2 ended here:


Comments

Anne said…
Oh, that sounds excellent! I'm always on the lookout for interesting veggie dishes - not so much for myself, but for treating vegetarian friends. I'm looking for something to serve with a risotto as a side dish - possibly this could be it.. :)

Popular Posts