[DANSK] Hot Dogs and Agurkesalat



Hot dog, Danish style: ketchup, sweet mustard, roasted and raw onions, pickled cucumbers - and sausage and bread of course! As it would be served at any of the pølsevogne here - or as you could make it yourself at home. Most of the ingredients are plain bought, but we do make our own agurkesalat.

Agurkesalat


2 large cucumbers, sliced ever so thinly, maybe with amandoline, should you be lucky enough to own one of these...
0,4 liter apple vinegar
100 g sugar
10 black peppercorns, whole
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt

Bring vinegar, sugar, peppercorn, bay leaf and salt to the boil. Leave simmering until the sugar has dissolved. Place the sliced cucumber directly in a 3/4 liter pickling jar. Pour the boiling vinegar mixture over the cucumbers. Leave to cool for half an hour, then eat. Any leftovers can be kept in the jar in the fridge (observe normal pickling rules: no dirty forks go in the jar, rim of jar kept clean etc. etc.)

Agurkesalat is also great with fishcakes and roast chicken. It is a bit on the sweet side, but if you try and make it (it's not really that hard as you can tell!) you can probably come up with even more suggestions as to what to serve it with. There's always a jar in our fridge, and while they're nothing like the fat little sweet pickled gherkins I'd use for my bean salad, neither nothing like the French cornichons, agurkesalat has it's very own place in our culinary mind.

Comments

Niki said…
You know, I reckon the best hotdog I've had was one bought at a little van in Copenhagen just last year. Oh, it was yummy!
A query - how would you pronounce 'pølsevogne'?? Our hosts tried to teach us some Danish, and we couldn't stop giggling at the way it seemed that all of the vowels were ignored! I remember being taught to pronounce Copenhagen as something like 'Kuhpnhabn' . :-)
Pille said…
I was an exchange student in Svendborg, Denmark in 1992-93 and I still have occasional cravings for the Danish style hotdogs we had at a place called Under Uret. Yummy! Thanks for bringing back the nice memories!!
Stephanie said…
My Grammy recently sent her recipe for bread and butter pickles, which I'm dying to make. Of course, I have to wait for the cucumber plant to get on board...
Unknown said…
I made something very similar to those pickles to top off the Dill-Cured Salmon and Creamed potatoes we made in class today!
Ana said…
They are so easy to make those Agurkesalat. If they taste somewhat like bread and butter pickles they are way easier to make. And I love pickles with my hamburger.
Cathy said…
Hi Zarah - the pickles sound yummy and easy! That's a perfect combination in my book!
Cerebrum said…
Niki - oh, pronounciation of pølsevogn... kinda hard to explain in written words, but you know, if you come here again, I'll teach you! The ø is one thing, but then there's the g, a soft g, like in... oh! You just have to come here! And sounds pretty right to me, the Kuhbnhabn'! (København)

Pille - you're welcome - I always like bringing back nice memories!

Stephanie - can't wait to see that recipe - and before you know it, you'll have more cucumbers than you'd like, I'm sure!

Linda - sounds like a fab way of using them - and traditional to boot!

Ana - I've never heard of that bread and butter pickles, but I can't wait to see Stephanies recipe. And of course, you NEED pickles in your hamburger - I'd cut the cucumbers a little thicker for that though...

Cathy - I agree! Easy and yummy - doesn't get much better than that!
eat stuff said…
These look fantastic and easy!
Which are the best cucumbers to use? Any or telegraph, english, lebanese, apple???
Molly said…
Zarah Maria, that hot dog looks fantastic! I don't think I've had one since I gave up my sort-of vegetarianism (in August 2003), but I've been craving them lately. After your post and photo, it looks as though I won't be able to wait much longer. First, though, I'll make some of those pickles...
Cerebrum said…
Hi Clare - Oh, you got me! I don't know their name, but pretty large, 3-5 cm (2 inches almost?) in diameter, up to 30 centimeters long - they might be called English hothouse cucumbers? Makes any sense?

Hi Molly - you know, hot dogs was one of the first things that "broke" my sort-of vegetarianism, so just you go ahead!;-)
eat stuff said…
Yep I think so :)
sorry... I want to make these! Yum
Anonymous said…
Just a quick comment from the guy in the original picture (black jacket with back turned to photographer) of the "poelsevogn".

The poelsevogn in the picture, is not just ANY random poelsevogn in Copenhagen, but the best there is. This guy serves massive 225 gram chili dogs with homemade chili dip.

If any of you would be able to drop by the vogn, and taste the chili's, drop us a review on ole AT criticalhit . dk, and we will put it on the site :-)

On behalf of Ole,

Soeren
iDharma said…
Dansk hot dogs are the best! My husband is from a Danish family (we're American) and we loved the hot dogs we found in Kobenhavn on our honeymoon. I'm on my way to Jylland on a business trip tomorrow (with a little tourism thrown in) and hopefully I'll have time for a Dansk "dog."
Unknown said…
The last time I was in Copenhagen was 2005. 3 years later I am dying for a hot dog...seriously....dying. Does anyone know how to make the Bahncke(sp?) ketchup and mustard they put on the hot dogs? American ketchup and mustard does not work. There is just no comparison. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Popular Posts