SHF: ISTBE # 2: Apples!



Mmmm, yummy, it's here again - Sugar High Fridays, the International Sweet Tooth Extravaganza! Hosted - again (Oh we're a bad bunch, not taking any of the summing-up responsibility - I will do soon, I promise!) - by it's inventor/spin doctor Jennifer of The Domestic Goddess, with a theme of apples galore!

Everyone's been doing apple this and apple that and I even recently bought myself an entire BOOK of apples - not just recipes, but also about growing and caring for apple trees - that will be the day, but I figured I'd better start preparing! This is my book:

There's a really yummy-looking recipe for an apple-spice mix in it that I'll have to try soon...

Okay so I KNOW this is a really, really bad picture of a picture in a book - of a picture (not anywhere near a scanner, sorry) - but you HAD to see this - the "painting" is made out of APPLES, put on a nail and arranged to look like flowers! That is just SO cool, I had to share!

But OH! I must admit that somehow time caught up with me (as you might now it does a lot at the moment!) and I found myself with a very limited amount of time - how embarrasing! That's why I ended up doing something that I actually think turned out very well, and that I'm sure I'll do for an easy pudding for the girls one night during winter...

I was inspired by one of the recipes in my book - Baked Apples. Now this one calls for a lot of hoo-ha, but i just cut open my apples (coxes they were), cored them and stuffed them with a mixture of almonds, marzipan, small raisins (korender in Danish) some light brown muscovado sugar and a bit of lemon zest, dapped some butter on top - et voilá!



Half an hour later, out of the oven:



And then...


I have to say, they would have been AWESOME with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, or some cold, cold custard - but cold creme fraiche did very well too!

So on to all your adventures out there...

Comments

Anonymous said…
So cute!! These look great Zarah Marie; I really like the idea of baking marzipan into the filling....

Angela (A Spoonful of Sugar)
Cerebrum said…
Thank you Angela! I'm a bit of a marzipan freak, so I thought "well, it is MADE of almonds, and almonds and apples are a happy marriage - it'll work!" I really like the way it melts, too, and I guess you could grate a bit more over the top, or maybe do a marzipan ice cream to go with it - see now we're talking business!!
Anonymous said…
*thud* Marzipan ice-cream?? You totally have to make some!

Angela (swooning at the thought)
Cathy said…
Zarah Maria - they sound delicious. I've only baked an apple once and I scooped out the core and stem - like a little tunnel from top to bottom. I like your way much better - none of the yummy filling escapes and you've got a cute little lid for the top!
Anonymous said…
Thanks for the idea! I was looking for a dessert to go with dinner tonight and this one turned out perfectly..YUM!
Anne said…
Yum! This is something we do quite a bit, varying the stuffing of course. I SO wanted to participate in the SHF this time, but alas, Friday happened to be a very busy day. Oh well, I'll try to join next time! :)

Popular Posts