Dining with the Bloggers - January 31st., 2007



So. I'm a baking fanatic. You should know by now. I have a LOT of recipes bookmarked that lies in that category. And not a small part of those are recipes I've bookmarked from Ivonne - aka The Cream Puff from Cream Puffs in Venice. Is she Italian? Well, yes, but she lives in Canada. IS she in fact a cream puff? No. But I'm sure she's donning a red-chequered apron full of laces like every self-respecting Italian Momma everytime she walks into that kitchen - 'cause Baby, Cream Puff can cook!

It's not that she doesn't make ridicously good looking savory dishes (which, face it, are the ones I should be trying, seeing I seem to have no excuse for finding a way to bake - I really shouldn't be using DwB as an excuse also!) - but it's her baking that's won my heart. And when I saw it, I knew I had to try the Peach Tart she posted about.

Admittedly, it's been a while since I made it - I did it shortly after Ivonnes original post, back in August. And instead of furry peaches, I opted for smooth-skinned nectarines because, well, I had a couple lying around.

It is one FABULOUS tart and it was appreciated in big slices by both my Mom and my Mother-in-law, who each had two pieces. It goes somehow marzipany, which in my opinion is a good thing, indeed. I had to find the original recipe to get an idea of the size of pan to use (9½-10 inch, btw. the one I have is a bit bigger though) Otherwise, I followed Ivonne's recipe to the letter, using a 38% creme fraiche which might be just a bit too much fat. The tart turned out a slight on the buttery side because of that - and maybe, just maybe because I was a bit impatient and wanted it out NOW so that it could cool a wee bit before we were going to eat it.

So I know, 'tis is not the season. But remember it, when peach (or nectarine) season arrives - it is DEFINITELY worth it! Meanwhile, go pick a recipe from Ivonne's archives - you know you want to!

Comments

Popular Posts